[LV2] Dplug wrapper for LV2

Auburn Sounds contact at auburnsounds.com
Sun Mar 31 07:01:56 PDT 2019

Le dim. 31 mars 2019 à 13:20, David Robillard <d at drobilla.net> a écrit :

> This is indeed limiting to plugin developers - on purpose.  Even if the
> plugin was 100% responsible for restoring its state, it could not paper
> over this kind of breakage with parameters, because it does not know
> what the host is doing with these values.  You could, for example, have
> a session with an automation lane with all kinds of fancy things going
> on based on the fact that a parameter is in Hz.

Ha! I hadn't thought about automation lane indeed that is stored by the
host. This is a kilelr argument and I remove myself from this embarassing
discussion.
So it seems my "chunk parsing" is always misguided.

> A plugin's control interface is like a
> library API, you just have to be careful about it.

Yes we are dealing with that with a sort of SemVer for releases. It seemed
to me it was possible to have compatibility across major changes, but with
what you say it seems a pipe dream anyway.

I'm not even sure how high-rated upgradeability is for users.
Going to release an incompatible v2 in six month to one of Auburn Sounds
plug-ins, and see how many complaints we get.
(A user will be able to have the former version coexist with the newer, so
it's not compeltely breaking.)
It has occured in the past that things that you'd think would bring lots of
criticism, didn't.

> There are a few areas where LV2 is hostile to developers who want the
> lowest common denominator between all the plugin specs, and this is one
> of them.  I think it's justified, though.  At the very least, it lets
> you do neat things like
> https://drobilla.net/2014/11/03/lv2-plugin-control-units-in-ardour.html
> which you can't with the meaningless normalized controls of VST.

In Dplug we're indeed about the absolute lowest common denominator API, and
this explains how we got to think like this (bugs like
https://github.com/AuburnSounds/Dplug/issues/308 are a bit annoying ).

>From what I can tell from more experienced plugin developer, they are more
supporters of meaningful parameters with units and such.
I think I see now why LV2 has internal state + control ports in such a way.
Well, case closed I guess.

Cheers,