[LV2] Building plugin binaries for older macOS versions

Stefan Westerfeld stefan at space.twc.de
Sun May 27 06:09:55 PDT 2018

   Hi!

I'm currently trying to build a self-contained, statically linked SpectMorph
for macOS. My first goal is providing a VST plugin binary, but since the
situation is similar for LV2, I hope this is not terribly off-topic.

My development system is running macOS 10.13, and so far, I've used the command
line tools for building the binary. For the dependencies, such as cairo, I've
used brew, and linked against the /usr/local/lib/cairo.a and so on. I tested
the plugin on my development machine, and it seems to work fine.

The question I have is: what do I need to do if I want to build a version of
the plugin that will also run on older macOS versions?

I tried to google this, but I still don't understand it fully.
- Is a plugin built in this way compatible with older macOS versions?
- If not, should I somehow build the binaries using older command line tools?
- Or build with an older Xcode version?
- Or build with an older macOS SDK?
- Can I combine any SDK with the newest command line tools / Xcode?
- Will static linking ensure that my plugin binary will run on a macOS with
  an older stdc++ library?

   Cu... Stefan
--
Stefan Westerfeld, http://space.twc.de/~stefan