[LV2] pugl, libsofd and ui scaling

Stefan Westerfeld stefan at space.twc.de
Wed Feb 21 08:25:13 PST 2018

   Hi!

I'm currently porting the SpectMorph UI from Qt5 to pugl + cairo. Besides
having better control over how the plugin UI looks, after a few experiments of
using the Qt5 on Windows and macOS I now also believe that pugl is the better
choice for making my plugin UI code cross platform.

However, one of the issues still on my TODO list is that I need a file dialog.
I could write one from scratch, but this looks like a lot of work.

As far as I can see, robtk uses native file dialogs on Windows and macOS (which
is good) and libsofd X11. This looks like a sane solution, but I have one issue
with this. My whole UI is scalable, so the text size can be made as big as you
need, especially on HiDPI displays, you may need large text sizes.

So I wonder if libsofd could support setting a desired text size, like 11, 12,
24, and would simply also scale according to my ui scaling. Right now, the
default size may simply be unreadably small. As this is an issue that is not
limited to SpectMorph, this might be helpful for other plugin UIs as well.

An alternative API would be passing my scaling factor (100, 120, 150, 200...)
to libsofd directly.

   Cu... Stefan
--
Stefan Westerfeld, http://space.twc.de/~stefan