[LV2] Best practice to get plugins using 3rd party extensions/features to pass validation?

Hanspeter Portner dev at open-music-kontrollers.ch
Tue Jul 11 06:45:49 PDT 2017

I have a lot of plugins on my system installed which do not pass *.ttl validation.

A prominent reason are plugins using 3rd party extensions/features (e.g.
harrisonconsoles' inlinedisplay:queue_draw/schedule, kxstudio's
programs:interface, modgui).

There's obviously nothing on my system defining those extensions/features, so
validation fails.

I fix this in my plugins by adding a minimal definition for such 3rd party
extensions/features in the plugins' *.ttl [1].

This makes sense to me, as plugin bundles should be self-contained and as such
should be defining everything that they cannot assume to be already defined in
the users system (e.g. everything but base LV2 spec + official extensions).

Should we adapt that as best practice, or is there a better way?

The only other way I can think of is outsourcing the problem to distribution
packaging. Quite suboptimal.

[1]
https://gitlab.com/OpenMusicKontrollers/canvas.lv2/blob/master/test/canvas.ttl#L30