[LV2] inline plugin displays (Robin Gareus)

Spencer Jackson ssjackson71 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 09:13:26 PDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 6:17 PM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
> How would you transfer EQ curves?
They're just bode plots so there are myriad ways: zeros and poles, a
transfer function, or just a short array of points to be plotted...
Several of these could even be implemented for the plugin to support
at its convenience

> ...You might
> also add additional information: e.g is that compressor using RMS or
> Peak or is it a Limiter, Gate. etc.
this seems pushing the boundary of clutter that gets in the way of
mixing. Anything useful could be included in the API. It seems like a
finite set to me.

> In any case there are probably a few more good use cases e.g. an
> ambisonics surround meter, or .. well surprise me :)
it's the surprises I'm actually most worried about TBH. :\
Part of it is philisophical, how much room for bad coding do we want
to give to the plugin authors? Giving an API case by case for these
inline UIs is a conservative approach, it takes more work and
deliberation, but it also doesn't leave any room for egregious hacks.
Allowing the plugin to display whatever however is placing a lot of
trust in us plugin devs.

_Spencer