[LV2] plea to plugin UI devs

Hermann Meyer brummer- at web.de
Thu Mar 17 09:03:35 PDT 2016

Am 17.03.2016 um 16:54 schrieb Robin Gareus:
> On 03/17/2016 04:43 PM, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>>
>> Am 17.03.2016 um 01:17 schrieb Albert Graef:
>>> IMHO the reality is that (thankfully!) we have different alternatives
>>> nowadays and different people like different things in their GUIs. And
>>> those preferences even change over the time. "Was dem einen sin Uhl..."
>>>
>>> Peace! :)
>>> Albert
>> I'm all with Albert here,
>>
>> Peace!
>>
> reality is that (sadly) LV2 will remain in some insignificant corner.

Maybe, time will show. But, to be honest, I prefer a insignificant
corner were I've the freedom to do what I like, over a busy highway,
were I've to look all the time to left and right, in order to don't get
drooped down.

>> (Still using C++ and GTKmm2)
> NB. this plea is less about migrating existing old projects, but rather
> aimed at new ones (see the OP). Learn from past mistakes.
>
> Peace,
> robin

I, in opposite didn't think it's a mistake to use C++ or GTK(mm), a
mistake will be to use instance access or, even worse, mix GUI and DSP
code, so that a host is required to use the GUI provided by the plugin.
The separation of GUI and DSP code is the best (I think) we have in the
LV2 specs.

regards
hermann