[LV2] plea to plugin UI devs

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:17:56 PDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 12:30 AM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> I would not say that, even with the source around there are plenty of
> examples where GNU/Linux distros screw things up while packaging.

Well, things get screwed up all the time, has been that way since the dawn
of computing. So then you fix things and someone will surely screw it up
again. :) But most of us wouldn't want to stop using a helpful library just
because the next system update might break it.

Maybe I just don't get what your point is. Do you want us all to turn away
from coding plugin GUIs with the usual suspects? And then what?
Intermediate libraries like DPF or JUCE are surely nice, but they also add
another layer and thus another potential point of breakage. Doing custom
GUIs in OpenGL might be fun for some, but a pita for others.

IMHO the reality is that (thankfully!) we have different alternatives
nowadays and different people like different things in their GUIs. And
those preferences even change over the time. "Was dem einen sin Uhl..."

Peace! :)
Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af