[LV2] Buffersize, Options and Externtion-Data

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Sep 9 15:05:55 PDT 2015

On 09/09/2015 11:21 PM, hermann meyer wrote:

> Am 09.09.2015 23:15, schrieb David Robillard:
>> I am not a fan of adding weird crap to the spec because ardour uses a
>> fixed maximum because of analysis.  Plugins will all be allocating 8192
>> buffers regardless of block size.  Maybe we don't care about memory all
>> that much these days, but.... ugh.
>
> Exactly what I said on IRC, what is it worth to provide this value other
> then waste resources?

  8 K/channel * 4 bytes/sample  = 32 KB/channel

really? if you call this a waste, you save on the wrong end.

Plugins that require to pre-allocate data are usually samplers,
reverbs/delays or IR reverbs. Now put this in prespective to a 50MB IR,
or 2+ GB of samples in RAM, not to mention a few MB of plugin GUIs.

Anyway, being able to seamlessly play without dropout whenever the
buffersize changes is well worth 32KB (or more). Taking down a plugin
instance just to re-allocate a couple of KB is IMHO wrong.

pre-allocate and run() with whatever buffer-size (as long as it's below
the max given during instantiation) without interruptions even when the
size changes.

2c,
robin