[LV2] Mapping of OSC to LV2 Atoms

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Fri Oct 16 21:03:42 PDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-10-16 at 10:41 -0600, Spencer Jackson wrote:
> > Which approach should we take, with or without format string?
>

> Alright, I'm flip-flopping.
> It does make sense to just map the data, rather than some attempt to make
> special case osc-atom messages. That said, I figure sooner or later someone
> will want "NIcS" so its better to take thought for them. 'S' seems to map
> to URID. To me it makes sense to add an LV2_Atom_Char key.

I assume by "key" you mean "type"...

>  N and I would
> make sense as new keys: LV2_OSC_Nil and LV2_OSC_Inf. These don't seem like
> useful atom objects, so I'd leave them under the proposed OSC extension. I
> believe this makes everything one to one.

Nil can be { 0, 0 }.

Note that in OSC 1.1, "I" is impulse, i.e. a "bang" ala pd.  This is a
much more sensible and useful thing, I actually put a bang type in the
atom spec provisionally but it never made it because it seemed
superfluous and doesn't round-trip to Turtle particularly nicely.

So - unsurprisingly, since this atom stuff is to some degree part of a
grandiose plan of mine to build a sort of LV2-based pd/Max/MSP - adding
an atom:Bang (or atom:Impulse?) seems fine to me :)

--
dr