[LV2] [LAU] LV2 control-ports and midi binding -- was Re: [ANN] setBfree v0.8

Filipe Coelho falktx at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 09:59:27 PDT 2015

On 06/23/2015 06:46 PM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> i still think that a simple standard defined message for a plugin to
> tell its host the following:
>
>   "-- i've made some changes onto my own internal state, including
> some, if not all of (my) parameters (aka. input control ports), so
> please scrap all your current view state of me from this moment on and
> get it all re-freshened up, will you? btw. you can also opt to set
> your session dirty flag, as for saving my (partial new) state later on."
Please don't.

Plugin ports are only valid during run, which means the plugin can only
send such message during run.
If you have a host like ardour or carla that splits the processing into
smaller blocks this will get very ugly.

Sending some dirty flag to the host is fine. Attempting to change some
input port value is not.

This is simple.
If you have some internal data that the plugin needs to modify during
run - don't export that data to the host.