[LV2] Killing the event extension

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Tue Jan 28 11:41:49 PST 2014

On 2014-01-28 13:44, Albert Graef wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 5:37 PM, David Robillard <d at drobilla.net>
> wrote:
>> It's been years now since this unfortunate screw-up and deprecation.
>> It
>> needs to be put to bed.
>>
>> What hosts are left that still *only* support the event extension?
>
> What about plugins, will the event extension continue to work for
> these? faust-lv2 still uses the event extension, I haven't got around
> updating it yet.

Well, I am first wondering about hosts, since hosts need to support
atom
for plugins to migrate.  That's step 1, which, as far as I know, is
done.

If all the host have been updated, then it's time to push the remaining
plugins to migrate, and ultimately remove host support for event.

It's time to spearhead more aggressive deprecation of the event
extension,
e.g.:

1) Make sure hosts support atom
2) Make sure plugins are ported
3) Make event headers noisy with warnings
4) Remove host support
5) Hiding event and uri-map from the docs completely

I will try to find the time to personally help with 2, but consider
this
fair warning that 3 and 4 will happen in the not so distant future :)

--
dr