[LV2] Thoughts of a lazy developer: Audio vs CV

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Thu Sep 19 17:26:17 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-26 at 17:13 +0100, Aurélien Leblond wrote:
> So I have been coding more of the avw.lv2 plugins, I realised that the
> issue with CVPort/AudioPort inputing/outputing the same data is really
> for very very few plugins - thinking about it, I realised you wouldn't
> really encounter it in other cases than modular synths.
>
> So although it might be a pain for the few developers who might
> encounter the case:
> - I guess on your side the code remains simpler
> - For users playing with modular synths, as long as the name of the
> plugin is clear enough to indicate what they do, it shouldn't be an
> issue
>
> Let me know what you think about it, but it might simply not be worth it.

Please do not top-post on this list.

The reason CVPort was created originally is that, while it could just be
a property of AudioPort, this would break backwards compatibility.  For
example, old hosts might connect a very non-audio output to speakers,
which nasty results.

Since the definition of AudioPort is explicitly, well, audio, it's
questionable to put things in them that are not actually audio.  It
raises some questions for modulars that may need to be sorted out, but
it was the safe way of adding CV to the standard.

-- dr