[LV2] multiple channel configurations in lv2 plugin

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Sat Mar 16 09:44:35 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 00:08 +0100, Julien Pommier wrote:
> On 11/03/2013 22:50, David Robillard wrote:
> > Unfortunately there is currently no standard/suppoorted mechanism for
> > this.  Ports are inherently static.
> >
> > Multiple variants are indeed the way to achieve this for now.
>
> Ok, thanks, I'll do a stereo and a 5-channel version. Maybe this would
> be something to consider for the future, I know that audiounit plugins
> have the ability to advertise the configurations that they support. It
> is also the case for VST3, I think.

Yes, it would be nice.  Completely dynamic ports would be very tricky
since it doesn't work so well with static data.  Big questions there.

However if just multi-channel audio is needed, that could be done more
conservatively with a new MultiChannelAudio  (or whatever) port type.
The new dynamic options interface[1] could be used to switch the channel
configuration of ports so we wouldn't even need new API for it.  Very
doable...

Hosts would have to actually support it though, of course.