[LV2] multiple channel configurations in lv2 plugin

Julien Pommier pommier at modartt.com
Mon Mar 11 09:36:02 PDT 2013

Hi,

Suppose that I have an LV2 plugin that can provide up to five output
channels. Right now, when I instanciate it on an ardour 3 midi track, it
is created with 5 channels and its track has a 5-channel panner control
that is very different of the usual stereo pan control. I think users
will want to instanciate the plugin most of the time as a simple stereo
instrument, and sometimes as a 5 channels instrument. I would like to
know what is the recommended way to handle this (a variable number of
output channels) ? Is there some mechanism for that in LV2 that I have
overlooked, or maybe should I simply create a version of the plugin for
each channel configuration that I would like to provide (in this case, I
would make a stereo version of the plugin, and a 5-channel version) ?

Julien