[LV2] Inheriting plugin properties

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Sat Jun 29 11:45:55 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-25 at 08:15 -0500, Michael Fisher wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-06-09 at 16:03 -0400, David Robillard wrote:
[...]
> > The problem is the binary.  Currently, Ingen saves a symlink to the
> > 'system' ingen_lv2.so, which works locally, but is obviously a problem
> > for distributing patches.  What's needed is a way to specify that the
> > binary for this plugin is the same as the binary of some other plugin
> > (e.g. a template the user must have installed)
[...]
> I think something like this would be useful indeed.
>
> What about inheriting the plugin as a whole:
> <>
> 	a <my_plugin_uri> ;
>
> Then just override properties as needed.  Not sure if the above even
> makes sense in RDF/Turtle land.

Not literally, since a plugin is not a class.  We could invent
vocabulary for doing this though.

I'll have to think about this one, not sure if this is too 'aggressive',
would cause problems, or is too much of a host burden (though in
practice that's lilv's problem anyway).  I suppose this would be quite
useful for sets of plugins that are all very similar to avoid having to
list all the same data many times, which would be quite nice...