[LV2] Thoughts of a lazy developer: Audio vs CV

Aurélien Leblond blablack at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 05:35:03 PDT 2013

lacking in host support or in the lv2 definition itself?

http://lv2plug.in/ns/lv2core/#CVPort says "It is generally safe to
connect an audio output to a CV input, but not vice versa. Hosts
SHOULD take care to prevent data from a CVPort port from being used as
audio" but that's not exactly true.
- In my VCO example, I could have used the VCO Audio output as my CV
FM input, that fits with the case above
- To create a tremolo that varies in time, I use a combination of
Envelope, VCA and LFO... VCA at the moment only accepts Audio input,
when my LFO is CV output

The way I see it:
- in the lv2 definition, the input/output port type could be the same
for both CV and Audio
- for this type, a mandatory lv2 property defines what the output can
be used for (CV, Audio or Both) or what the input can receive (CV,
Audio or both)
- that would work pretty well for VCO (output can be used for both CV
and Audio), LFO is only a CV output, etc
- the complicated case is the VCA:
     - input and output can both be CV/Audio but have to be "in sync"
     - if I plug a LFO as input (CV only), the output can only be used
for CV as well
     - if I use an audio sampler as source (Audio only), the output
can only be used as Audio
     - if I plug a VCO (output both CV and Audio), the output of the
VCA can then be used for both CV/Audio

But I don't know how feasible that is.