[LV2] python-lv2

Luis Henrique Fagundes lhfagundes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 07:19:48 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 2:24 AM, David Robillard <d at drobilla.net> wrote:

> Fair enough.  If all you really care about is LADSPA equivalent
> functionality it probably doesn't matter much.

I think you hit the point here, I realize now I'm really thinking old
LADSPA way. In fact our first implementation was to support LADSPA, and
migrating to LV2 was hard. So, maybe what I'm trying to get here is the
certainty of things I used to have in LADSPA :-). This is just a
reflection, I don't know if this is a good or bad thing.

> Just my input on how to best make an API, if you're just after
> accomplishing a specific task, do whatever suits your needs.  That is
> probably not so useful as a general LV2 Python API, but some JSON
> representation and a tool to convert to it would be great for web stuff
> anyway.  I know several people are generally interested in webby LV2
> things...
>

> Sure.  We have just had similar problems in the past so it's good you
> mentioned it.  An official "lv2" Python module would be a good place to
> put basic stuff like discovery for starters (but would have to be
> generic).  I'm open to adding one but have no active plans to do so any
> time soon.
>
> I expect you'd see a more interest by publishing the JSON related stuff

Yes, right now this suits our needs a lot, and as a general LV2 Python API
is not good yet, although this code being around might help other people.
Right now we're on a tight schedule for our product and releasing the whole
software under GPL is in our near roadmap, so this discussion will make
more sense for us soon, and then we can think in a more general tool.

Luis