[LV2] how to supply a large number of factory presets with a plug-in

Nick Dowell nick at nickdowell.com
Fri Apr 5 10:37:27 PDT 2013

On 5 Apr 2013, at 03:45, David Robillard <d at drobilla.net> wrote:

> Any solution will need numbering, the main question here is whether a
> preset can be a part of several banks.  If a preset must only be a part
> of one bank, the data could be a bit simpler.

Allowing users to create their own banks is a valuable feature in my opinion,
particularly for a plugin with many presets; allowing them to group their
favourite presets together.

Additionally, the fact that a using separate 'pset:Bank' structure would be
good for backwards compatibility makes it seems like the best solution.

> I tend to avoid lists deliberately in LV2 stuff though, since reading
> them in code is more confusing and sticking with just properties makes
> life easy and consistent.  In this case, compatibility with pre-defined
> MIDI banks, which sometimes have gaps in the numbers, probably means
> such a solution is no good anyway.

That's a very good point that I had not considered - 'sparse' banks with gaps
would be good to support.