[LV2] LV2 Programs extension

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Fri May 4 11:09:33 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 17:35 +0100, Filipe Lopes wrote:
> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM, David Robillard <d at drobilla.net>
> wrote:
[...]
> >Select program with a function is completely silly.  Use MIDI, then
> >         there is no need for that function, or the UI extension
> >         whatsoever,
> >         since hosts already need to implemented the ability to send
> >         that from
> >         the UI.
> >
> Note that the API is not complete yet, it's still a draft. In the
> future I want the plugin to have a way to tell the host "recheck my
> programs now" and "program x:y changed name, please refresh", which
> can't be done with MIDI messages. There might be are other useful
> features an extension can do that MIDI cannot.

(I have taken the liberty of fixing your mangled email, please do not
top post on this list)

That may be so, but something that can easily be done with (and is
obviously directly intended for) normal MIDI PC messages should be,
because that is what plenty of existing code (including the things that
will end up inside such plugins) knows.

On the LV2 side of things, not doing things via ports causes a gigantic
mess of irritating problems, and forces hosts to implement a bunch of
crap they shouldn't have to (most obviously UI<=>Plugin communication)
It is sometimes necessary, but best avoided.  Here it is definitely not
necessary.

This is only with respect to setting programs.  It is up for debate how
announcing and refresh and other non-MIDI things should be done.