[LV2] [LAD] LV2 specification packaging

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 00:49:16 PDT 2012

On 03/27/2012 02:54 AM, David Robillard wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 22:15 +0000, Chris Goddard wrote:
>> I like the idea of an overall version number, so, LV2 V2.1 is released
>> which contains foo v0.7, ba v1.1, thing v0.4.
>>
>> Over time foo is updated to v0.8, LV2 V2.2 gets released.
>
> Done.  With respect to pkg-config, the "lv2core" package will remain,
> for compatibility.  Otherwise, there is just an "lv2" package.
> Configure scripts can just check whatever version of that.
>
> Generally, APIs should have meaningful version numbers, but I can't come
> up with a scheme for this.  People seem to not like the date thing,
> though, so "lv2" currently has the completely arbitrary version "0.1.0".
> I guess I will just increment whichever digit I arbitrarily feel like
> incrementing that day...
>
> Developers currently following the bleeding edge should dump all their
> extension specific pkg-config checks and simply check for 'lv2'.  The
> price of this change is minimal sympathy for stagnant crap: the
> benevolent dictator model will indeed keep things more agile and
> unified, but only if you keep up.

That's great Dave - I think this is a 'good thing'. Distributions can be
a pain in the arse for developers but they are also good at ensuring
derivative projects keep up to date with the libraries that they build
against. I think this can only help adoption of LV2. When can we expect
are released tarball of the spec?