[LV2] [LAD] LV2-C++-Tools

J. Liles malnourite at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 13:14:55 PDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 06:50:10PM +0000, Aurélien Leblond wrote:
>
>> @Fons: I phrased it wrong the first time :) by expensive, I meant that
>> my poor design was creating a lot of xruns :)
>
> As Dave has already pointer out, a plugin - at least the DSP
> part of it - is not the proper place to do anything X.
>
> It would probably fairly easy for the host to provide X,Y on
> two control ports, just as it provides the Jack ports, MIDI
> interfaces etc.

Just trying to be the voice of reason here... There are plenty of
tools out there to convert joystick/mouse/whatever position into
sensible MIDI messages. I've even written a few myself:

http://lsmi-all.sf.net

IMHO, one should never need to deal with input devices in a plugin.
And, yes, the host could also provide this information, but I don't
think it's the hosts responsibility to be providing the plugin any
information that the user didn't explicitly request be delivered to
the plugin (e.g. by clicking on an XY Pad control and moving the
cursor position).

Anyway, if you ever want to be able to record and playback this
theremin sound, MIDI is the way to go.