[LV2] Recursive LV2_DIR searching?

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Wed Mar 14 16:41:44 PDT 2012

A thought I hadn't considered from Paul Davis, when having troubles with
the header symlink stuff:

Should maybe bundles all be installed with URI-style paths?  That would
mean for extensions pkg-config files could simply set -I to the LV2
bundle dir, and everything is self-contained.  It would be possible to
get the path of any extension or plugin or plugin-package without
searching, since there is a 1:1(ish) mapping from URI to path.  There's
no more potential bundle name clashing issues, since they can't clash by
definition.  Seems kinda nice.

The downside, of course, is that hosts would have to recursively search
directories in LV2_PATH at discovery time.  I am not sure if this is a
problem.

This is probably an LV3 kind of idea, but I thought it was worth
consideration.