[Devel] assigning MIDI CCs to lv2:ControlPort

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Tue Jan 17 07:58:47 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 10:13 +0800, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > Never modify input port values, ever.  Making something like this
> > possible would basically mean an entirely new parameter system (which
> > may not be a bad thing, but isn't lv2:ControlPort).
>
> > I believe there is an old extension floating around somewhere that
> > specified MIDI bindings in data so the host could implement it, but I am
> > not sure what it is.  Anyone?
>
> Agreed. It should be handled by the host.
>
> Filipe Lopes linked to this before:
> http://ll-plugins.nongnu.org/lv2/ext/midimap/
> Is this what you mean?
>
> In my opinion, MIDI bindings should be loaded with presets. Would it
> make sense to extend the presets extension such that it allows for
> optional links to turtle files containing MIDI bindings to
> lv2:ControlPorts?

Presets can contain state (using the
http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/state#state predicate) which is what you would
use for this.

The implementation I am working on in Lilv supports this (presets and
state are the same thing, really).  Unfortunately you will probably have
to wait for widespread solid state support to be able to do it.