[LV2] lv2_descriptor() considered harmful

Martin lv2list at unknown-error.com
Sat Feb 25 11:23:08 PST 2012

Hi!

> out of curiosity, how do you generate the code at runtime?

I think I don't at all (at least no compiled code).
I use a precompiled .so for a fixed amount of inputs and outputs and
only assign new names and control value ranges in the rdf files.
Everything needed for them is parsed from the source code (of a non
compiled language) which is run by the shared object. So the only
generated code are the .ttl files which is not created at run time (I do
that using a shell script in advance). Inside the shared object
everything stays the same, except for a unique uri per plugin. (didn't
try if it works with a non unique though...)

My solution for now is compiling the .so for each bundle. Maybe patching
the binary to replace the URL would be a solution too...

> i'd second that request; for a host i'm working on i created an extension
> specifically for this but it would be nicer to have a "standard" mechanism.

:)

martin