[Devel] Thoughts on lv2-universe-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Wed Feb 8 08:40:04 PST 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 15:38 +0800, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> On 8 February 2012 15:16, Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 02/08/2012 04:13 AM, David Robillard wrote:
> >>
> >> I have wrestled with this suggestion for some time; whether to release
> >> core and all extensions and examples etc. (everything in the repo,
> >> essentially) in one tarball.
[...]
> > It would certainly expedite any packaging in distros. That could only help
> > adoption I would think.
> >
> > Brendan
>
> I second Brendan's comment. In Arch Linux lv2core is available via the
> official repository, but a number of extensions are not; they are only
> available in the unofficial user repositories where one often finds
> outdated versions. Keeping this all in one tarball guarantees
> compatibility and would certainly be a good idea.
>
> (Incidentally, the situation with Haskell looked similar before the
> introduction of the Haskell Platform.)

Good point.  I guess nothing will really change at the source level,
since each individual element will still have its own version,
pkg-config file, etc.  If we want to establish the use of
system-installed extensions, the things need to actually be there...

lv2-world?
lv2-galaxy? (universe is inappropriate)
just lv2?