[Devel] Thoughts on lv2-universe-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Tue Feb 7 19:13:18 PST 2012

I have wrestled with this suggestion for some time; whether to release
core and all extensions and examples etc. (everything in the repo,
essentially) in one tarball.

Feedback is not so great from people who actually have to install all
this stuff, understandably.  I very much dislike the centralized feeling
nature of it, but there are arguments for:

 * The reality of things is that every time I tweak the documentation
tools or whatever *all* extensions change

 * Building and installing HTML documentation with cross-linking would
be possible.  With separate releases it is not.  Not installing
documentation is not so great.

 * One build process to keep up to date from source (user, or developer
just dropping the whole thing in their tree) vs a looot

The main against is I guess the lack of ability for fine-grained
installation, but having an extension installed really shouldn't cause
any harm in any case.  Separate releases make package dependencies more
informative as well.

Any thoughts on this?  I get the feeling jumping on board LV2 is too
"hard", which suggest I'm not doing such a great job as maintainer.
Maybe a big ol' package of up-to-date everything would help this.