[Devel] LV2 implementer poll (event buffer)

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Tue Feb 7 10:55:35 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 13:54 -0500, David Robillard wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 16:51 +0000, James Morris wrote:
> > On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 18:43:49 -0500
> > David Robillard <d at drobilla.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am working on the successor to the event extension and its
> > > EventBuffer.  This is the buffer used for MIDI in LV2 instruments and
> > > such[1].
> > >
> > > I need to know:
> > >
> > >  * Does anyone actually use the variable time stamp type stuff?  The
> > > original idea here was to support tempo time, but it seems unlikely
> > > anyone will do that in run()
> >
> > <daydreaming...>
> >
> > What does variable time stamp stuff mean? What if I wanted to implement
> > some sort of MIDI LV2 step sequencer or something more complex?
> >
> > </daydreaming...>
>
> Events had a timestamp type field, so it would be possible to support
> different kinds of time stamp, e.g. beats.

The new LV2_Atom_Sequence happened to have a uint32_t free anyway, so I
have included this functionality.

Unlike the event extension, I am actually defining a type for beat time
(namely double) and utility functions for working with it, so it should
be as easy to work with beats as frames.

I do not really expect this to be used in the kind of situations where
MIDI currently is, but perhaps it will, and LV2_Atom_Sequence is not
just a port buffer but a thing that can be passed around, so it will
probably be useful there.

Cheers,