[Devel] Updated FHS

Stefano D'Angelo zanga.mail at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 01:20:21 PST 2012

2012/2/2 David Robillard <d at drobilla.net>:
> On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 14:28 +0200, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:

> What about APPDATA?  It seems that is application specific like
> PROGRAMFILES, but I can't find any documentation for a user-specific
> equivalent of APPDATA.  There's some references around to COMMONAPPDATA,
> but I can't find any actual documentation for such a variable...

If you refer to this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa367992%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
it seems something related to the MSI and not an environment variable.
However, this is "common" to all users, not common to all programs.

However IIRC there was no equivalent for Windows <= Vista. I do also
remember there was a page on MSDN somewhere describing all environment
variables, but I do not seem to be able to find it again. :-(

This page might be of help:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb762494%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
- I guess most, if not all, of these correspond to environment
variables...

.. and then there is this roaming vs nonroaming thing... I don't know
if we want to keep user-installed bundles "local"... this whole thing
is rather confusing.

>From our POV, does it matter where user-specific bundles are installed
(as long as it is a standard place)?

Stefano