[LV2] Ardour doesn't find lv2

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Tue Dec 11 17:27:24 PST 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-12 at 01:11 +0100, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> On 12/12/2012 12:00 AM, David Robillard wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 23:41 +0100, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Anyway, if I do
> >> echo $LV2_PATH
> >>
> >> I get an empty line
> >
> > There is a big difference between an environment variable being set to
> > the empty string, and the environment variable not being set at all.
> > Both will print nothing for this command.  As I mentioned earlier,
> > 'export' will print all set environment variables.
> >
> > Perhaps yours has been set to the empty string?  This will result in
> > zero plugins.  You can use 'unset LV2_PATH' to unset it.
> >
> >> If I do
> >> LV2_PATH=/usr/lib/lv2
> >> lv2ls works (but only in the terminal in which I set the path)
> >>
> >> lv2ls contains some weird files
> > [snip]
> >
> > All valid URIs, this looks fine.
> >
> > -dr
>
> This also?
>
> ~$ lv2ls
> file:///usr/lib/lv2/StereoInOut.ingen/StereoInOut.ttl
> http://studionumbersix.com/foo/lv2/yc20
> urn:50m30n3:plugins:SO-404
> urn:50m30n3:plugins:SO-666
> urn:50m30n3:plugins:SO-kl5
> urn:juce:TalDub3
> urn:juce:TalFilter
> urn:juce:TalFilter2
> urn:juce:TalReverb
> urn:juce:TalReverb2
> urn:juce:TalReverb3

Yes.  There is no rule that URIs have to be HTTP URIs or anything like
that.  Any valid URI will do, though I certainly don't think using URNs
for plugins is a very good idea, it's not invalid.

The first is an Ingen patch.  As it happens, an Ingen patch saved
anywhere is inherently an LV2 plugin.  If you save to ~/.lv2 it will
show up automatically in hosts.  Not a long-term stable or portable URI,
but it is convenient sometimes.

> export
> declare -x LV2_PATH=""

That's your problem.  An empty path contains no plugins.

Please let me know how it got this way when you figure it out.  I could
make lilv interpret the empty string as unset, though this would make it
impossible to completely disable the path, which might not be good.  I
don't know any precedent here, but I'm hesitant to remove power to work
around what seems like an rather uncommon PEBKAC.

Cheers,