[LV2] LV2 best practices

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Fri Aug 3 11:38:26 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 19:20 +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
[...]
> [...]
[...]
> I'll go for a+c. Hopefully hosts supporting #displayPriority will show
> up sooner or later and (a) will become obsolete.

I am so unbelievably tired of having to solve both the chicken & egg
side of every single problem that I won't bother offering to do it ;)  I
will implement it in Ardour/Ingen/Jalv once a plugin exists to make it
worth the effort.  Keep us posted.

Make a variant if you wish, but this:

1) Reduces/eliminates the incentive for hosts to implement the property
2) Will break sessions if users want to switch later on once they do

Granted, it's no secret that I am an idealist about such things.

I am not really sure if a simple numeric priority is the best solution
here, but it's a simple one.  Perhaps in conjunction with groups...

> > All of these "control ports that break the rules" properties are
> > unsupported, and probably will remain that way forever since they are
> > terrible.  I do not suggest using them and do not plan on implementing
> > them in anything.  I only put them in that extension in an effort to
> > consolidate all the port properties out there.
>
> Don't say that too loud, otherwise no-one will ever implement
> #displayPriority and similarly valuable properties  :-P

displayPriority is fine, it is just metadata and doesn't have any effect
on audio things, evil or otherwise.

I am only referring to things like causesArtifacts.  Controls simply
shouldn't cause artifacts (and certainly not real-time violations!),
hosts are not expected to check for every "this port is broken" property
under the sun and work around them.

Cheers,

-dr

P.S. Alternatively we can all just finally collectively jump off the
"finally using events for controls" deep-end.  Whee!