[Devel] lv2_descriptor() considered harmful

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Mon Oct 10 08:21:27 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 11:08 +0300, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
> 2011/10/10 David Robillard <d at drobilla.net>:
> >  * Missing bundle_path parameter, making more "dynamic" plugin bundles
> > effectively impossible (e.g. any bundle that needs to run some code at
> > init time to see what plugins it can make available, such as plugins
> > defined in some data file.  Think plugins in Faust or Ingen patches)
>
> Maybe I don't understand correctly, but maybe there is some overlap
> with dynamic manifest here? In other words, you still want all the
> "potential plugins" to be listed in manifest.ttl or not?

My immediate use case is for Ingen, where the description of the
plugin/patch is static, but the library needs to be able to read that
data to know what plugin it is providing.  It reads the data to know
what ports are there, what the plugin URI is, etc. etc.

I could perhaps solve this problem with dynamic manifest, but that is an
overly complicated and slow solution here, since I don't actually need
to dynamically generate any RDF data at all.

In short, I see lv2_descriptor as flawed since it makes it impossible to
implement plugins are defined by files in their bundle (essentially any
plugin that is not statically written and compiled C code).  Faust is
another good example of such a thing.