[Devel] Trigger Event Type Extension

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Tue May 31 17:25:35 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 18:45 -0400, Jeremy Salwen wrote:
> Hi David:
>
> I've fixed the indentation to match the other extensions, and changed
> it to lv2:documentation: see
> http://columbia.edu/~jas2312/lv2-trigger-2.0.tar.gz
>
> I was aware that you can't just start using the ns/ext namespace, but
> I wasn't sure how to get approval for it besides posting the extension
> on the mailing list. (I certainly wouldn't just write plugins using it
> without getting some sort of approval.)
>
> Also, you said that it was too narrow in scope.  What would you
> suggest is also included with it?  Another event type with some sort
> of velocity parameter?

I forgot, there is this:

http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/atom#Bang

Note that "atoms" are binary compatible with events, they are
essentially events with the timestamp lopped off, and the same types can
be used for both.

However, I am really frustrated by the extremely stupid use of uint16_t
for event types, which causes a ton of wide-reaching URI-map relates
hassles, so I almost want to throw away this compatibility with atoms
and eventually deprecate the event extension altogether...

So, I am not sure what to suggest.  I am using atom:Bang for such
things, for now, anyway.