[Devel] uri-map: what is the `map` parameter for?

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Mon Jul 18 15:16:47 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 22:42 +0100, James Morris wrote:
> On 18 July 2011 22:35, David Robillard <d at drobilla.net> wrote:
>
> > The best thing, in the long run, would be to replace the event and
> > uri-map extensions to resolve this.  Well, uri-map could be updated to
> > just deprecate the map parameter at least, but event has to go.  That's
> > going to piss some people off and cause a lot of bad PR, though.
>
> If it's got to be done then it's got to be done sooner rather than
> later.  Don't let the imagined threat of bad PR burn a hole in the
> freedom of free software.

I suppose this is true.  I have never had much sympathy for those who
somehow seem to think keeping known crap is actually a good idea
anyway...

The blocking point for this is I want "events" and "atoms" (which will
be used for higher level control of plugins via messages, as well as
data structures in general) to be in-place compatible.  Getting an
example plugin/host combination with that functionality is a top
priority for me, so I will do whatever needs doing to make it right.

> Best,
> James (who's never written software important enough to worry about
> the consequences of breaking it).

It is ever so much more stressful and irritating than simply writing
programs... ah, the consequence-free utopia of application programming,
how I long for thee :)