[Devel] Status of LV2 extension support

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Sun Dec 18 12:28:49 PST 2011

On Sat, 2011-12-17 at 16:56 -0500, Caleb Reach wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm just getting started with LV2 plugin development, and Jalv seems to
> support urid but not atom:ValuePort, whereas Ingen supports
> atom:ValuePort but not urid.  Is there a compatibility matrix somewhere
> that shows which hosts support which LV2 extensions?

I plan to write a tool to generate such a thing, but havn't done so yet.
It will use data based on the host-info extension to automatically
correlate host implementations with what plugins implement.

There is a big difference between released extensions and unreleased
extensions, hence the massive red EXPERIMENTAL labels.  URID is
released, Atom is not.  To my knowledge nobody is using atom:ValuePort
yet in anything that works.  This area of the extension needs work, its
current use is mainly in the atom types, not the ports.

I forgot Ingen didn't support URID yet.  I will do so soon.

> Which host is generally recommended for LV2 development?

Jalv is intended to be a minimal host appropriate for this, since one is
lacking, but it is not yet released either.  It will be when the
state/preset implementation is finished.