[LV2] friendly reminder 2017 -- was: Qt5 plugin UIs and libsuil

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Mar 6 10:07:14 PST 2017

On 03/06/2017 06:20 PM, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> Unfortunately, when putting multiple toolkits in the same process under
> linux, I believe things will probably never be elegant.

Exactly. And it's not only Linux, it's on any OS really (and worse on
some. eg. OSX due to flat global namespace).

Please, never ever use a toolkit that does not allow statically linking
plugin-UIs (or plugins in general).

      Plugins should be self-contained

..and not expose symbols, except for the entry point.

<rant>
A single plugin + host can already be problematic; but multiple
dynamically linked plugins and hosts, and subtle runtimer linker
differences depending on platform, and compile + link + runtime library
differences) is worse than herding cats.
</rant>

ciao,
robin